These instructions apply to the implants procedure just completed. They are meant to instruct you in procedures that will minimize discomfort and inform you of situations that may possibly require special attention. If you have any questions or any problems occur, please do not hesitate to contact our office by calling (440) 835-4600. If it’s after office hours, please call Dr. Sazima’s direct cell phone at (216) 233-1809.
Immediately following surgery:
- If a periodontal packing or dressing has not been applied to the surgical site, saline saturated gauze rolls will be packed into the mouth to eliminate swelling and edema in the surgical area for approximately 2-3 hours.
- External ice packs are used against the surgical site to also prevent swelling, alternating 10 minutes on, 5 minutes off, the face through most of the day.
- Avoid over-exertion the day of the surgical appointment. Refrain from doing any heavy lifting or strenuous activities. Normal activity may resume the day following surgery.
- It is possible for swelling and bruising to occur even after using ice packs; this is not an unusual circumstance and should diminish within a few days. Elevation of the head with two pillows during sleep may also lower the amount of swelling.
- High protein drinks are advisable for the first day, working up to pureed foods in a blender. Foods should not be excessively hot; USE COOL OR TEPID TEMPERATURES.
- If the area is not packed, the surgical site should be gently rinsed using listerine following each meal. At this time, a gental examination of the surgical area for any bleeding, loosened sutures should be done, notifying the doctor if anything seems out of the ordinary. If a periodontal dressing is placed over the area, you should avoid chewing on that area and do not brush or floss the area where the dressing is present.
- The day following the surgery, the patient may be scheduled for a short examination with the doctor. If this is not requested, the office will be in touch with you by phone to check on your condition that evening or the following morning. A suture removal appointment 10 days from the day of the surgery will be scheduled.
Get In Touch With Our Office
Whenever you have a question, concern or to simply request an appointment, we’re always here for you. If you are ever experiencing a dental emergency, please call our office immediately.